Monday, July 5, 2010

In memory of The Frugal Gourmet


Yesterday's Dinner

This is a scallops, rice, and tomato recipe I've made for oh, the past twenty-two years or so. Geez, I'm old. The Frugal Gourmet was a fav PBS cooking show when I lived in Washington, DC, and this is the only recipe of his that I wrote down and have continued to cook. The only change I've made to fit my healthier/Weight Watchers style of eating is to use brown rice. (BTW, I now actually prefer brown rice to white. Go figure. Lucy, on the other hand, prefers white; she says due to the texture.) Anyway, the rice is already cooked, so the whole recipe takes approx 10 minutes and is delicious. I usually make it in my stir-fry skillet with 2 cups of rice and have left-overs. But tonight it was so good, and I didn't have a full 2 cups of rice, so I just ate the whole stinkin' thing. So, there!


Heat 2 tsp. of oil in a stir-fry or other large skillet. Cook minced garlic in oil, then add green onions and bell or other pepper and cook for a couple of minutes. Add 1/4 to 1/2 pound of fresh bay scallops (the small ones) and cook for 2 minutes or so, then add a cut-up fresh tomato (seeded). Then add 2 cups of leftover brown rice, salt, and pepper. Stir well, cover skillet, and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, check seasoning, and add a few shakes of Tabasco sauce. Makes 2 servings. I like it with a GIANT serving of haricot vert, but then I live near Trader Joe's and you probably don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment