Monday, July 5, 2010

The Cheap(er) Man's Sparkling Italian Mineral Water


For those of you who have a pricey S. Pellegrino habit (Sarah knows who she is), have you tried the Whole Foods brand? I like the plastic bottles and the price more than San P. But it makes me wonder: am I blessed or cursed to have Whole Paycheck within walking distance? I certainly don't NEED a weekly 6-pack of sparkling Italian mineral water of any kind. But I have convinced myself that I NEED to purchase any meat, poultry, or seafood either at Whole Foods or at the much-cheaper but not as nearby Trader Joe's. By default and courtesy of Lucy's vegheadedness, over the past few years I have come to get most of my protein from something other than meat. But, my Weight Watcheriness shows more weight loss when I do eat lean proteins such as very thin cuts of center-cut pork, lean skirt or flank steak, and shrimp or scallops. I add lots of flavor, mostly with rubs, and keep them on hand to toss into salads or to make a big plate of 3/4 veggies and 1/4 protein. Problem is, as I've added these proteins back into my diet, I notice that if I buy them at the regular grocery store or eat a steak somewhere like Outback, my stomach is affected in a not-good way. Hmmmmm.....so I started experimenting, and found that does not happen when I buy my proteins at WF or TJ's. So it's really a no-brainer for me: I only buy there, now. And most often it's WF due to TJ's more limited selection of meats. A bonus at WF: lots of butchers to custom cut my little thin boneless pork cutlets from a beautiful center-cut pork loin. They'll do them as sliver-thin as I want, and as few or as many as I want (my default order is 12 at 2 to 3 ounces each, so you see what I mean by thin) so I can grill up one-half the custom package that night, and the other half two days later. If I stopped at that and only bought my meats at WF, then I probably wouldn't have to refer to it as Whole Paycheck. But, that sparkling Italian mineral water and those other must-haves call my name after I visit the meat counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment