Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year on a Plate

Black-eyed peas: you knew it had to be. Frozen---my current preference, as they are fresher tasting than dried. I don't care for canned so much.
Brussel sprouts: roasted, from frozen. This was an expansion of the required greens genre, for us southerners. First time I used frozen, and they're not as good as using fresh...a little mushy inside. Maybe because when roasting fresh ones, you can cut them in half first. Anyway, I accomplished my two goals: having something a little bit along the lines of greens, and using up something from the freezer.
Baked sweet potato: perfection, topped only with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. There was one left in the basket, perfect for L and me to split.
Brown rice: a base for the peas, leftover from the fridge.
Cornbread: from the freezer, fried.
If you notice a theme here, yes, I'm working on the end-of-year and out-of-cash-after-the-holidays plus it's-just-a-good-thing-to-do-every-once-in-a-while cook out of the freezer, pantry, and fridge-a-thon. Try it: you'll feel thrifty, and you'll eat up a lot of good stuff you forgot you had. Next on my list? Scallops stir-fry with garlic, bell peppers, scallions, brown rice, and haricot verts. I wish I hadn't just eaten so I could fix it now.
All the best for 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment