Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Which is it?

Are they garbanzo beans?
Or are they chickpeas?
Who cares, when they're so delicious. Buy a bag of dried whatever-you-call-them, soak them in cold water for a few hours or overnight, drain and cover with fresh water and cook just until tender----I think it usually takes about 45 minutes or so. You owe it to yourself to try cooking them yourself instead of using canned ones. When they're almost done cooking, season liberally with Cavendar's Greek Seasoning (or salt and pepper, but if you don't cook with Cavendar's you're missing out big-time cuz this Arkansas product makes EVERYTHING taste better.) Then bake yourself a pan of cornbread and enjoy a super-healthy taste treat. The first time I cooked these from dried, instead of opening a can, Lucy didn't know what I had done but she immediately tasted the difference and asked why the garbanzo beans tasted so good. Now I buy them in bulk at Whole Paycheck (the canned ones taste slimy to me now...sorry) and cook up a super big pot so I can keep half in the freezer in small bags for whenever needed. These are perfect to throw in a salad, or to add to a whole wheat pita with whatever leftovers you have for a super work-day lunch.

Another favorite way to use half a batch is to spice and roast them. Drain cooked beans completely, and pat them with paper towels so that they're as dry as possible. Put them on your big bar pan in one layer and either spray or toss them with a tiny bit of olive oil and your favorite spices---I use cumin and a bit of cayenne, but my next batch will be in Old Bay. Roast them at around 450 until----here's the hard part----until they're very crispy but not burnt. It's a fine line, and I usually cross it with at least half of mine. But if they're not crispy-crunchy, they're really not worth it in the flavor and texture department, so step out there and take a chance. They're like munching on a big bowl of delicious nuts, but without any of the fat and a delicious flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!! I am so happy the blog is back! :) I love reading about all your yummy food! These sound delicious--and yes, it's true that Cavender's is amazing!! I don't know how I ever cooked without it! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete