Wednesday, December 22, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Baking

Is holiday baking one of your favorite things?
I guess it's one of mine, based on how much I do.
This year's has included Leslie's cheese straws (well, technically Trish's, but Trish never made them for me and Leslie has made me hundreds of them), Sister's chocolate-peanut clusters, blondies (they're actually the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the bag that I make in my big bar pan due to laziness; when I give them to people, they say, "I love blondies," so I figure maybe that's what they are), Nigella's breakfast bars, the Pampered Chef's Triple Layer Brownies (Libby made these one time and they were so good, I've always wanted to make them), and my Aunt Ruth's caramel layer chocolate squares. I think there was something else, but my mind is too sugared-up to remember it. I have the stuff to make Melissa's Toffee Candy (1 pound butter, 2 cups brown sugar, and 6 Hershey bars---what's not to like?) but it will have to wait until tomorrow night, once work is finally done. Here are a few photos for your eating pleasure.




And a tip: at some store near you, Land of Lakes unsalted butter is probably on sale this week for $1.99, like at the A&P here in New Yawk. Keep an eye out and stock up on several pounds for your freezer. I try to only buy butter at that price, and I find it's always on sale right before big holidays.

Happy Baking!

2 comments:

  1. Yum yum YUM! Why do I always get so hungry when I read these posts?? Of course you know I love anything sweet, so I want to eat all of these!! Did you like the brownies?? I need to make those again! Oh, and when you make chocolate chip cookies in the bar pan do you double the recipe? Is it the recipe on the back of the Nestle choc. chips bag? (I have a great 'Friends' reference for that--I'm sure you're shocked!!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the "blondies" It's the recipe on the back of the Nestle bag, and I don't double it for the large bar pan (2 1/4 cups flour, 2 sticks butter.) Just be sure to use your large off-set spreader to spread it in the bar pan, and you're good to go! OF COURSE you have a Friends reference for that! The Triple Layer Brownies were delicious.

    ReplyDelete