Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cheese Straws from Leslie and Trish

Leslie and I have introduced each other to many things over
the years. I trump, cause I introduced her to Randy! But she came close when she started making and sharing Trish Yearwood's cheese straws several years back. I would watch her pull the big zip-loc bags out of her suitcase when she came to visit, or I would open up a care package she went to the trouble of sending, and my mouth would start to water. I would sometimes hide the last bag from Lucy and Granny----I know, nothing to be proud of. This year I decided to try my hand at them myself. Lucy says mine aren't as spicy as Leslie's (and I think she means they're not as good) but I haven't had as much practice. Don't attempt this recipe unless you have the right tools for the job: a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and a heavy-duty cookie press (the new Pampered Chef model with the rotating press works perfectly, and it has a potato ricer disc, to boot!).
I've made two batches so far. Takes me about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish, so be in the mood and don't do this while you're hungry, or you'll end up eating more than you pack up for giving---take it from me.
Ingredients: 30 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, and 2 sticks of butter: let them set out on your counter overnight or until fully room temperature. 4 cups flour, 2 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, a dash of garlic powder.
I diced up the butter and cheese into the mixer bowl. Use your heavy-duty beater and mix the cheese and butter "until the consistency of whipped cream." It takes about 30 minutes---more later on that.
Sift 3 cups of the flour with the seasonings. You know, I used to have an actual flour sifter, but now I just use this. Sift onto a big sheet of wax paper that you have creased in the middle, to make it easy for you to add this to your mixer at the right time. Keep the 4th cup of flour separate. This is a good time to turn on your oven, to 325.
I mix at speed 2 mostly, and occasionally crank it up to 4. About 4 or 5 times during the 30-minute mix time, I use my heavy duty Mix 'n Scraper (one of my favorite kitchen tools) to scrape down the sides of the bowl. I also take the whole thing off the mixer, remove the beater, and scrape under the beater a couple of times so that everything gets mixed in.
The batter is very stiff, so you'll need to put a little muscle into all of this and use heavy-duty tools----a wimpy spatula would break in a second.
After about 30 minutes, start to add the seasoned flour to the batter, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time. To avoid a cleaning disaster, be sure to use your mixer's flour guard or drape a tea towel over the head of your mixer (long enough to cover the sides of the bowl.) Each time after you add the flour, mix just enough to get the flour well combined. Use as much of the extra 1 cup of flour as you need for the right texture...both times I made these I added about 1/2 cup.
Now you're ready to fill your cookie press and start piping.

Oops!
These look a little better. But I consider those squiggly ones cook's treats, so no problem.
After about 20 minutes in the oven, here's what you have. I use parchment paper just to make clean-up easier and to be able to re-use my hot pans sooner (pipe out onto fresh parchment while a pan is still in the oven, and rotate.) I keep 4 baking sheets going, so the baking (boring) part goes much faster.

Remember, it is more blessed to give than to receive. But these sure are yummy! Thank you, Leslie (I think).

No comments:

Post a Comment