Monday, September 12, 2011

Balsamic Body Heat


Women of a certain age, like me, have fond memories of the 1981 movie, Body Heat.  Maybe  it's because William Hurt was so uh, cute, at that age.  Or maybe it's because at the end of the movie, his poor pitiful self is in jail and Kathleen Turner is on a beach being all rich and left alone.  How often does it turn out that the girl gets the better deal?  But I digress.  In this movie, he becomes so totally obsessed with her that he loses all sense and acts in ways that are extremely dangerous and contrary to his nature.

If I am William Hurt, figs with gorgonzola and balsamic are my Kathleen Turner.

My haircut guy told me about these a couple of years ago in October.  He said it was too late to get fresh figs, but I was already obsessed before having one taste,  so I left the salon and went immediately in search of figs---and found them at the first place I stopped; see, fate has already intervened here.

He had told me that two to three of these make a lovely appetizer.  That would be one or one-and-a-half figs per serving.  The fresh Black Mission figs come 27 to a box, so one box makes 18 appetizer servings, according to normal people.  Remember how I said William Hurt got about Kathleen Turner?  Well, I fixed half the box (9 servings) and ate them all except for the reasonable few that Lucy nibbled.  Then the next day I did the same thing, only Lucy wasn't home so I ate all 9 of that day's servings myself.  And I knew it was wrong.  Just like William Hurt knew it was wrong to kill Richard Crenna.  But. I. Didn't. Care.

Some of Leslie's good pecans and a glass of wine make the perfect accompaniments.

Figs with Gorgonzola and Balsamic

Cut fresh, ripe figs in half lengthwise.

Use your Pampered Chef Small Scoop (or a spoon) to scoop out just enough fig flesh to make a small indentation.  Put crumbled gorgonzola cheese in the indentation--I stuff as much as I can and kind of let it ooch out the top.

Put the filled figs on a broiler-safe pan (don't use your P Chef stoneware under the broiler; I use my P Chef metal baking pan) and pop them under the broiler for a couple of minutes, just until the cheese gets nice and melty.  When you take them out of the broiler, splash each with just a teeny-tiny bit of balsamic vinegar.

Fresh figs are in season right now.  Go ahead.  Get all obsessed and Body Heat about these.  You know you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment